Forum Discussion

This post is in response to the toon below (click to enlarge)
Cartoon on reparations for slavery (July 5, 2005 1:41 PM)
Posted by: Chris Delorey
u are totally right! they wanted equality but they strive for it by segregating themselves

Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (July 9, 2005 12:02 PM)
Posted by: Good Will
how would you act if your ancestors were forcefully be inslaved for hundreds of years? (this is an actual question, its interesting to see a perspective of another person).
Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (July 13, 2005 7:52 PM)
Posted by: Chris Delorey
>how would you act if your ancestors were
>forcefully be inslaved for hundreds of years?
>(this is an actual question, its interesting to
>see a perspective of another person).

It was well over a century ago and those actually affected by slavery definitely would have deserved reparations, however, due to the great passing of time and the changing of our government, paying reparations to the blacks would be like forcing the Egyptian government to pay every Jew.
Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (July 14, 2005 3:25 PM)
No I understand that. Still what would you do or ask for if you were in the shoes of people whose ancestors were slaves?
Probably at least an apology?
Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (July 25, 2005 2:09 PM)
Posted by: spencer olson
>No I understand that. Still what would you do or
>ask for if you were in the shoes of people whose
>ancestors were slaves?
>Probably at least an apology?

I am a native American whose ancestors were forcibly removed from there homeland, moved half way across the country, given 60,000 acres of land, had it taken all away, and then given 10,000 acres of land. And yet I hold no grudges toward the government for those actions seeing as the people who did all that have been dead for 150 years. If an old man assaults you and dies, you don't charge his grandson with the assault.
Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (October 4, 2005 8:33 PM)
So basically there is an expiration date on heinous crimes?
Re: Cartoon on reparations for slavery (November 15, 2005 9:03 AM)
Posted by: T Cleveland
>So basically there is an expiration date on
>heinous crimes?

When the people who committed the crimes are dead, and the people who the crimes were committed to are dead.......then yes!
Cartoon on reparations for slavery (January 3, 2006 6:16 PM)
So if I steal your house, give it to my son and then I die of a heart attack the next day, does my son get to keep your house?
Cartoon on reparations for slavery (January 5, 2006 4:31 PM)
Posted by: Steven McAllister
>So if I steal your house, give it to my son and then I die >of a heart attack the next day, does my son get to keep >your house?

Well, if house is a metaphor for "Freedom," then it's more like you stole his house, gave it to your son, and died, then your son gave him his house back, albeit grudgingly. Since the descendants of slaves are now free, the "house" is back in the hands of its rightful owners, and the original thief is dead and thus beyond punishment. Slave reperations are a straight-up silly idea, because if everyone had to pay reperations to the descendants of everyone their ancestors wronged, we'd all be paying money to everyone else, and no one would come out ahead anyway.
Cartoon on reparations for slavery (January 9, 2006 4:25 PM)
>Slave reperations are a straight-up silly idea, because if everyone had to pay reperations to the descendants of everyone their ancestors wronged, we'd all be paying money to everyone else, and no one would come out ahead anyway.

You are absolutely right. But is not it fun to put thing in the perspective. :)

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.