Forum Discussion

WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 3, 2006 11:29 AM)
Posted by: Jim Huber
Happy New Year, PC Thugs!

After 10+ years of the same site, with tweaks and add-ons, the site was a mess, so I finally redesigned it, and have redone this forum, too...

The hierarchial system of the forum was a bit cumbersome and problematic at times. So I have changed it to a more familiar format. Instead of the nested links for followups, I am going with displaying the whole discussion on the page a la blogs or vBulletin. This will make the discussions easier to follow, rather than having to click on each link to see the followup.

I have also removed all of the threads with posts preceding 2005.

I am still toying with the idea of allowing you to optionally create basic profiles about yourselves. Is this something worthwhile or just needless fluff?

Is there anything you would like to see on the forum, or even the website?

Thanks for being a part of the Forum, and I hope to see more of you in 2006 and beyond!

- Jim

WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 3, 2006 6:20 PM)
Posted by: Good Will
Looks good :)
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 4, 2006 3:44 AM)
Thanks GW -
What do you (and anyone else) think about user profiles and that sort of stuff? Waste or something you would like?
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 4, 2006 9:07 AM)
Posted by: John Schmitt
I think your current set up work great and profiles maybe more work than they are worth.

It would be nice if you let people rate individual cartoons, using their login would hate to have a case of voter fraud.

Keep up the great toons, hey how about haveing a section with your favorite forum entries with you responds? I miss all seeing stuff like what we say in the hate mail section.

But the site is great as it is so you really don't need to do anything execpt new cartoons ;).

Thanks!
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 4, 2006 11:36 AM)
Haha. Thanks John.

I'll try to do my cartoons more frequently... My New Year's Resolution! :)

As for the hate mail, I am trying to phase out that section in favor of the forum. Though I don't really get involved with the forum section, myself - that's for you to debate and discuss my cartoons and other topics.

Your suggestion of a section of favorite forum entries got me thinking, though... Instead of user profiles, clicking on a member's name could list the different discussion threads he/she has participated in.This way everyone can see everything Good Will had to say and can respond accordingly. ;-)

I'll think about the rating of cartoons. I don't know how many 2/10's I can endure before I take it off. In the meantime, you can talk about the cartoons here.

Thanks - Jim
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 5, 2006 11:18 PM)
Posted by: T J
New Forum ROCKS, Jim!! Makes responding to inane commentary so much easier. Profiles are a scary idea though. I'd hate for someone to find out that I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...ooop!!!
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 6, 2006 3:17 AM)
Thanks TJ! It was time for a change. I do kinda like the idea of being able to click on a member's name and seeing a list of all the threads they are participating in. Do you have issues with that, or just people knowing you're not into yoga and that you have half a brain.
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 6, 2006 8:54 AM)
Posted by: T J
You could maybe do a list of the number of posts the person has made, a tally so that you know the person commenting is not just a fly by night flamer.
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 6, 2006 3:47 PM)
Posted by: Adam Wiswell
nice new look, it makes debates go much easier
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (February 3, 2006 12:06 PM)
Posted by: Joseph Doze
Hey, Mr. Huber. I am new here, and I just want to say, I have never done any forums, but I like the outlay of this. It's nice and organized and I can read the comments because they are not on a black background with green type... I tend to rant so I appologize. Anyway, keep up the good work. Jim Huber for Representative.
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (February 23, 2006 3:42 AM)
Thanks Joseph and Adam.

I must say I am impressed by how this forum has really taken off since the new format.

Looking at the numbers, all of 2005 had less than 160 posts, where as 2006 SO FAR has 730 posts!!

I am really pleased with the debate that goes on here. Overall, it is pretty intelligent and passionate.

However, recently some profanities and name calling have been peppered throughout some individuals' posts. I know emotions run high here, but I ask everyone to use a little more restraint, and refrain from saying stuff that would make Redd Foxx blush, God rest his smutty soul!
No more double-clicking! (March 10, 2006 2:04 PM)
For a while I noticed people seemingly double clicking on the "Post Message" button and posting messages twice. I added some Javascript that will disable the "Post Message" button after the first time clicking it. This should correct that problem, but already see that it's problematic if you get the password wrong and have to go back to fix it. I will try to correct that problem, too.
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (February 15, 2007 12:20 PM)
Posted by: Good Will
yeah that form at the on the home page obviously submits twice.
Fixed the double posting! (February 20, 2007 12:55 AM)
Yes, and I think I finally figured out and fixed the problem! It wasn't user error after all. It was Google ads submitting the form as part of its tracking. Once I changed the form from GET to POST method, the problem appeared to disappear. (I hope!)
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (February 20, 2007 1:01 AM)
And now to tackle the newest problem... #$(%&ing spammers using the forum to peddle their vitamins and junk.

Will CAPTCHA verification work? Because posting requires registration, I figure either the spammer scripts are pretty sophisticated or there is an actual human involved.

Has anyone heard if it's manual all the way, or automated after human registration, or totally automated?
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 26, 2008 3:10 PM)
Posted by: Eva Zetterberg
Hi! this is awsome
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 1, 2010 2:55 PM)
Posted by: Susan Sauer
Hi Jim,
This is the very first time I've found your site, and I want you to know that I really appreciate it. Hope you keep up the good work in 2010, and that I have time to enjoy it...
WELCOME TO THE NEW SITE AND NEW FORUM (January 4, 2010 1:56 PM)
Thanks, Susan. More accurately, I hope I have time to do my good work more frequently. I finally posted a new cartoon after nearly 9 months of nothing.

Post a reply

Subject:

Email: Password:
Forgot your password?
Not registered?.